The HotSheet October 2013 edition is here.
What a busy Prostate Cancer Awareness Month we have had at the Us TOO home office! Most likely that’s also the case throughout the network based on the volume of materials ordered from our office for events in local communities. Keep us posted on your events so we can include them in our Chapter News!
Here is a brief recap of Us TOO September activities:
* Weekend of the 6th – Vice Chairman Dave Houchens and his wife, Kathie, presented at the PCRI Conference in Los Angeles along with Us TOO support group leaders Walt D’Ardenne, Bob Miller and Ken Foster
* Saturday/7th – Us TOO Board Member Emeritus Jim Kiefert and fellow volunteers held another successful Pints for Prostates event in Olympia, WA
* Monday/9th – Chapter Services Manager Terri Likowski and I presented at the 20th Anniversary celebration in Greenville, SC, at the Harvey Floyd Chapter
* Sunday/15th – A crowd of about 1,400, including prostate cancer survivor and WGN-TV personality Steve Sanders (who served as our event emcee again this year) and a group of current and former Us TOO board members, turned out on a rainy day at Chicago’s Lincoln Park for a successful 9th Annual SEA Blue Walk & Run
Remember that we’re encouraging you to promote additional donations for the event through the end of October to help fund our free services.
* Tuesday/17th – Thursday/19th – Attended the Zero Policy Conference in Washington, DC, with Us TOO Board Treasurer Jean Jeffries and her husband, Wendell; Terri and I also led several break-out sessions on taking action through your support groups
* Friday/20th & Saturday/21st – Conducted the 3rd Quarter Us TOO Board meeting in Chicago
* Thursday/26th – I had the pleasure of joining Jeff Albaugh, PhD, in a satellite media tour to conduct interviews with more than 20 radio and TV stations in response to the Harris Interactive Advanced Prostate Cancer Patient and Caregiver Burden of Illness Survey commissioned by Astellas and Medivation. The survey fact sheet is posted on the home page of the Us TOO website.
We are moving forward with finalizing plans for our October 17th Us TOO University Town Hall meeting in Rochester, NY. We’ll post details on the Us TOO website calendar of events as soon as we have them nailed down. And for those of you in Chicago, watch for updates on the Pours for Prostates event we are hoping to hold in November.
Finally, over the last few months, many of you have been calling about the American Cancer Society’s decision to end their Man to Man support group program. See page 3 of this HotSheet for the response we received from ACS in a call Terri and I conducted with their staff last month. Us TOO stands prepared to help those in transition and assure that prostate cancer support groups thrive.
My best to you all,
President & CEO
Us TOO International
Downers Grove, IL 60655
Toll Free: 800-808-7866